Sunday, September 16, 2007

Photo Blog II-- My Neighborhood



This Pagoda is the perfect place to read! It's really close to my apartment and school.



An upclose shot of the Pagoda.




May 18 Memorial Park highlights the violent suppression of a popular uprising of Gwangju from May 18 to May 27, 1980. It is simply called 5.18 by South Koreans. For the period of Chun Doo-hwan's reign, the incident was denounced as a rebellion inspired by Communist sympathisers. But after civil rule was reinstated, the incident received recognition as an effort to restore democracy from military rule. The government made a formal apology for the incident, and a national cemetery was established for the victims. (Thank you Wikipedia)




This photo was taken on my street. Now I know how the food gets so hot.




I haven't see a single family home since I've been in Kwangju. In fact, I've only see a few in Korea. A majority of the city lives in apartment buildings similar to these.




This is the school where I teach (i.e. basically live). The second, third and fourth floors are ours.

2 Comments:

Blogger jbwhong said...

Mmmm. Sun-dried gochu. You know, that could be free if you sampled it. (You can do that in markets.)

(I really don't know that much Korean - I've probably already used half of it on this blog.)

Jason

September 18, 2007 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm almost afraid to sample it. :) I'm still working on being able to eat a full bowl of kimchi. It looks hot!

September 19, 2007 at 3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home