Thursday, September 13, 2007

Food!



I've been slow to update the blog in the past week because I started a new class on Monday. Details are coming about that later, I'd rather talk about food now.

Pictured here is one of my favorite Korean dishes--Kimbap. This particular variety is the vegetarian version complete with yellow pickled radish (it's not as odd as it sounds), cucumber, pickled cabbage, a carrot and fried egg rolled in white rice and seaweed.

I had been warned and prepared for the hot and spicy foods in Korea (think Kimchi), but was not prepared for the high food prices. Many said.. "food is soooo cheap in Korea." Well, they were very wrong.

I went to the grocery store last Friday and bought: jelly, broccoli, soy sauce, two small onions, potatoes, a small packet of walnuts, chocolate, ziplock bags, a bottle of soda, a couple packets of miso and seaweed soup and a plastic container. The grand total of my shopping trip was 50,000 won (this would be about $53).

On the other hand, going out to eat is REALLY CHEAP. For example, buying a role of Kimbap at one of the hundreds (I'm not exaggerating) of local restaurants is only one won. I've also bought a meal that has lasted me for three lunches for only three won.

I don't understand the cheaper dining prices--if food is so expensive in the store, you would think restaurant prices would be worse. (Of course.. I do get supply and demand, but it just feels so odd). Either way, I'll enjoy my Kimbap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home